This course teaches participants how to respond to a possible overdose -- including how to deliver naloxone and activate the emergency response system -- and offers information on the importance of treatment options post-overdose. The course covers adults only, and is designed for management and employees in workplace settings, non-clinical hospital and healthcare staff, and the general public. Knowledge of how to perform CPR (performing high-quality chest compressions and early use of an AED) is highly recommended before taking this course.
Course modules include:
- Recognition and response to an opioid overdose (performing CPR and administering reversal agents [naloxone])
- Basics of the opioid epidemic and opioid use disorder
- Understanding naloxone and how it works
- Recognizing the importance of post-overdose treatment options
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- describe the current opioid epidemic in the U.S.
- identify some prescription and illegal opioids
- recognize why opioids are so addictive
- identify a possible overdose
- know how to respond to a possible overdose
- review/explain what naloxone is and how it works
- describe how to give naloxone
- identify the antidote for an opioid overdose
- recognize the importance of post-overdose treatment options.
To earn a course completion certificate, students must:
- review all modules and knowledge checks
- pass a knowledge skills test with a minimum score of 84%.
Key Features and Benefits
- Provides valuable layperson training to respond to opioid overdoses
- Can be completed in approximately 10-15 minutes
- Gives those who successfully complete the course a certificate of completion
- Provides access to all course content for 2 years following activation
Please include an e-mail address when ordering. Instructions for activating Opioid Education for Non-Clinical Staff and Lay Responders will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day. NOTE: Each course purchased can only be used by a single student. This product is not eligible for the standard 30-day return policy.
Dimensions and Specifications
PC and Mac compatible
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Computer with Internet access
Minimum computer requirements:
- Connection: Broadband/T1/Cable/DSL/Fiber/etc.
- Operating system: Windows XP or later, or Mac OSX 10.6 or later
- Processor speed: 1+ GHz Pentium or equivalent
- RAM: 1+ GB RAM
- Web browser: Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome (recommended), or Firefox
- Speakers/headphones: Recommended
- Soundcard: Recommended
- Macromedia Flash (latest version)
- QuickTime Plugin (4.0 or above)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (latest version)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long can students access the information in this course?
A: Once a student activates the course, the student can access all information for 24 months.
Q: Is this a credentialed course?
A: Yes, successful completion of the course (which includes knowledge checks and passing the knowledge skills test with a minimum score of 84%) results in a course completion certificate.
Q: How long does it take to complete the course?
A: It takes approximately 10-15 minutes.