This course is designed to prepare students to provide first aid and CPR and use an automated external defibrillator (AED) in a safe, timely, and effective manner. Heartsaver courses are intended for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, regulatory (e.g., OSHA), or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting.
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- list the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of the first aid rescuer
- describe the key steps in first aid
- describe the assessment of and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- use an epinephrine pen
- control bleeding
- recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
- recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers
- describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- recognize when someone needs CPR
- perform high-quality CPR for an adult alone or as a team member during multi-rescuer CPR (child and infant CPR modules are optional)
- give effective breaths using mouth-to-mouth or a barrier device for all age groups
- demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult (child and infant AED modules are optional)
- describe when and how to help a choking adult or child (infant choking module is optional).
Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration and a CPR and AED skills test, students receive a Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED course completion card that is valid for two years.
Key Features and Benefits
This workbook contains all the information students need to successfully complete the HeartsaverÂ® First Aid CPR AED course, and is also ideal for use as a reference tool before and after the course.
Each student must have his or her own copy of the workbook.
Dimensions and Specifications
Each workbook is 8 1/2" x 11",
144 pages, and includes one each of three reference cards:
- Heartsaver® First Aid Quick Reference Guide (item no. EC15-1022)
- adult CPR AED reminder card, 7 panels, 2 7/8" x 3 3/4" (folded)
- child and infant CPR AED reminder card, 8 panels, 2 7/8" x 3 3/4" (folded)
Full-color, softcover book, shrink wrapped
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is it possible to buy a single copy of this workbook?
A: Yes. For a single copy of the Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook, look for item no. EC15-1018.
Q: Are the reminder cards available separately?
A: The Heartsaver First Aid Quick Reference Guide is sold separately (item no. EC15-1022), but the CPR AED reminder cards are not.