The PEARS Instructor Essentials course is taught in a blended-learning format. AHA PEARS Instructor candidates must complete the online portion, followed by the hands-on session conducted by Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Training Center faculty.
Prior to taking this course, candidates must have a current PEARS Provider Course Completion Card. Candidates who successfully complete the PEARS® Instructor Essentials course, followed by course monitoring, will receive a PEARS Instructor card, valid for two years. PEARS Instructors are then able to teach the PEARS Instructor-led course.
Key Features and Benefits
- Self-paced, accessible wherever Internet access is available
- Presented in two parts: Core and PEARS; both must be completed unless Core has been completed as part of previous AHA Instructor training
- Covers the components of the Instructor cycle; including Prepare, Teach, Test & Remediate, Close, and Keep Current; and includes interactive exercises and videos
- Includes Resource Center with access to AHA's Program Administration Manual, the PEARS Instructor Candidate Workbook, the PEARS Instructor Essentials Classroom Checklist, and quick links to the AHA Instructor Network and cpr.heart.org
- Certificate of completion available to print when the online portion has been completed successfully; certificate must be presented for access to the hands-on, Faculty-led session
- Students have access to all information in the online portion for 24 months after activation to help reinforce what they have learned
PEARS Instructor Essentials online includes audio and subtitles for students who may have a visual or auditory disability.
Eligibility for continuing education credit:
- Physicians -- The American Heart Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity (must be claimed within 6 months of participation).
- Physician assistants -- AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME or a recognized state medical society. Physician assistants may receive a maximum of 0.50 hour of Category 1 credit for completing this program.
- Nurse practitioners -- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) accepts AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by the ACCME.
- Nurses -- The maximum number of hours awarded for this CE activity is 1.25 contact hours (must be claimed within 6 months of participation).
- Pharmacists -- ACPE Credit: 1.25 Contact Hours. Universal Program Number: 0256-0000-16-915-H05-P (must be claimed within 30 days of participation).
- Emergency medical services -- This continuing education activity is approved by the American Heart Association, an organization accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE), for 1.25 Educator CEH, activity number 16-AMHA-F3-0344 (must be claimed within 6 months of participation).
Please include an e-mail address when ordering. Instructions for activating PEARS Instructor Essentials Online will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day. NOTE: Each course purchased can only be used by a single student. This product is not eligible for the standard 30-day return policy.
Dimensions and Specifications
PC and Mac® OSX compatible. Content available 24 months following activation.
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Computer with Internet access
Minimum computer requirements:
- Connection: Broadband/T1/Cable/DSL/Fiber/etc.
- Operating system: Windows XP or later, or Mac OSX 10.6 or later
- Processor speed: 1+ GHz Pentium or equivalent
- RAM: 1+ GB RAM
- Web browser: Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome (recommended), or Firefox
- Speakers/headphones: Recommended
- Soundcard: Recommended
- Macromedia Flash (latest version)
- QuickTime Plugin (4.0 or above)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (latest version)
Frequently Asked Questions