The goal of the PEARS course is to improve outcomes for pediatric patients. The course achieves this by training healthcare providers in assessment, early recognition, prompt communication, and initial intervention in the event of respiratory
emergencies, shock, and cardiopulmonary arrest using high-performance team dynamics.
During the course, case-based instruction will be used to teach students to provide appropriate lifesaving interventions within the initial minutes of response until the child is transferred to an advanced life support provider.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- perform BLS consistent with the 2015 AHA guidelines for CPR and ECC
- evaluate a seriously ill or injured child by using the pediatric systematic approach
- apply effective team dynamics
- demonstrate initial stabilization of a seriously ill or injured child, including a child with cardiac arrest, respiratory distress, or shock.
The PEARS course is ideal for:
- Physicians and nurses not specializing in pediatrics
- Nurse practitioners
- Physician assistants
- Emergency medical technicians
- Respiratory therapists
- Prehospital and in-hospital healthcare providers (outside of critical-care areas)
- Outpatient clinic staff
- School-based providers
Students who successfully complete the PEARS course (including achieving a score of 84% or higher on the course exam) will receive a PEARS provider course completion card (print or eCard), valid for two years.
Key Features and Benefits
The PEARS Instructor Manual eBook is for use by PALS and PEARS Instructors teaching the PEARS course.
Each Instructor must have his or her own eBook, which offers electronic access to all content in the printed PEARS Instructor manual, including:
- 12 lesson plans
- precourse materials, such as an equipment list, sample precourse letters, and a sample PEARS course agenda
- Child CPR and AED Skills Testing Checklist
- Infant CPR Skills Testing Checklist
- PEARS Practice Case Scenarios
- Team Dynamics Debriefing Tool
- Team Role Labels
- Pediatric Systematic Approach Algorithm
- Pediatric Systematic Approach Summary
- Pediatric Management of Respiratory Emergencies Flowchart
- Pediatric Management of Shock Flowchart
- BLS Healthcare Provider Pediatric Cardiac Arrest Algorithm for the Single Rescuer -- 2015 Update
- BLS Healthcare Provider Pediatric Cardiac Arrest Algorithm for 2 or More Rescuers -- 2015 Update
- Vital Signs in Children
Please include an e-mail address when ordering. The access code and instructions on how to access the eBook will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day. NOTE: This product is not eligible for the standard 30-day return policy.
PEARS course eligibility for continuing education credit:
- Emergency Medical Services -- This continuing education activity is approved by the American Heart Association, an organization accredited
by the Commission on Accreditation of Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE), for 7.25 Advanced
CEHs, activity number 17-AMHA-F2-0024.
Dimensions and Specifications
PC, Mac®, Android, and iOS compatible
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Computer or device with Internet connection and a current Web browser
- Chrome, version 42 and above
- Firefox, version 37 and above
- Safari, version 8 and above
- Internet Explorer, version 11 and above
- iOS device browsers, device version 7.0 and above
- Android device browsers, device version 4.4 and above
iOS app: iPhones and iPads with version 7.0 and above
Android app: Smartphones and tablets with version 4.1.x and above
Offline viewing available through the iPublishCentral reader (download from the My Bookshelf page at https://eBooks.heart.org)
The latest edition of Adobe Air must be installed.
To teach the PEARS course, you will also need:
- Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition, and Stabilization (PEARS®) Provider Manual print edition (item no. EC15-1052) or eBook edition (item no. EC15-3123)
- Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition, and Stabilization (PEARS®) DVD (item no. EC15-1055)
- Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition, and Stabilization (PEARS®) Poster Set (item no. EC15-1056)
- American Heart Association Stopwatch (item no. EC15-1501)
In addition, to teach the PEARS course, you will need a DVD player or DVD-capable computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the return policy on eBooks?
A: All eBook sales are final. Please ensure that you are purchasing the correct title for your needs before placing your order, as eBooks may not be returned or exchanged. Please also confirm that computers or mobile devices will be allowed in the classroom before you order eBooks.
Q: How do I redeem my eBook access codes after I receive them?
A: Instructions for redemption will be e-mailed to you along with the access codes. (Please be sure to include an e-mail address when you order.)
Q: Can I print this eBook?
A: American Heart Association eBooks are not intended to be printed. Printing and copying restrictions apply.
Q: Does this eBook come with an Instructor CD like the print edition does?
A: No, but all the information from the Instructor CD is available on the American Heart Association Instructor Network at https://ahainstructornetwork.org.