The Heartsaver Instructor Essentials course is designed to prepare Instructor candidates to teach AHA Heartsaver Instructor-led
and blended-learning courses. The course educates candidates on how to adequately use Instructor teaching
materials, ensure that students meet learning objectives, offer student coaching skills, provide an objective skills performance
evaluation, and follow AHA Instructor and course policies. The course covers core content and discipline-specific content
required to teach AHA Heartsaver courses.
The Heartsaver Instructor Essentials course is taught in a blended-learning format. AHA Heartsaver Instructor candidates
must complete the online portion, followed by the hands-on session conducted by BLS Training Center Faculty.
Candidates who successfully complete the Heartsaver Instructor Essentials course, as well as course monitoring, will receive
a Heartsaver Instructor card, valid for two years. Heartsaver Instructors are then able to teach all courses within the
Key Features and Benefits
This course covers the components of the Instructor cycle, including Prepare, Teach, Test & Remediate, Close, and Keep Current. It includes core information about instructing all AHA courses, important Instructor competencies,
and program administration, followed by more in-depth course-specific information for:
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED
- Heartsaver First Aid
- Heartsaver CPR AED
- Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED
- Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens
- Self-paced, accessible wherever Internet access is available
- Presented in two parts: Core and Heartsaver; both must be completed
- Includes interactive exercises and videos
- Includes Resource Center with access to AHA's Program Administration Manual, the Heartsaver Instructor Candidate Workbook, the Heartsaver Instructor Essentials Classroom Checklist, and quick links to the AHA Instructor Network and cpr.heart.org
- Certificate of completion available to print when the online portion has been completed successfully; certificate must
be presented for access to the hands-on, Faculty-led session
- Students have access to all information in the online portion for 24 months after activation to help reinforce what they have learned
Includes audio and subtitles for any students who may have a visual or auditory disability. Continuing education credits available.
Eligibility for continuing education credit:
- Physicians -- The American Heart Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1
Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Physician assistants -- AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from
organizations accredited by ACCME or a recognized state medical society. Physician assistants may receive a maximum of
1.00 hour of Category I credit for completing this program.
- Nurse practitioners -- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) accepts AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by
ACCME. AMA credit must be claimed within 6 months of participation. CME/CE credit will no longer be available to claim after
the 6-month claiming period.
- Nurses -- The maximum number of hours awarded for this CE activity is 1.00 contact hour. ANCC credit must be claimed within 6 months of participation. CME/CE credit will no longer be available to claim after the 6-month claiming period.
- Pharmacists -- ACPE credit: 1.00 Contact Hour Universal Program Number: 0256-0000-17-004-H04-P. ACPE credit must be claimed within 30 days of participation. ACPE credit will no longer be available to claim after the 30-day period has elapsed.
- Emergency medical services -- This continuing education activity is approved by the American Heart Association, an organization accredited by the
Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE), for 1.00 Educator CEH, activity number 17-
AMHA-F3-0007. CAPCE credit must be claimed within 6 months of attendance. CME/CE credit will no longer be available to claim for this
activity after the 6-month claiming period.
Please include an e-mail address when ordering. Instructions for activating Heartsaver® Instructor Essentials Online will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day. NOTE: Each course purchased can only be used by a single student. This product is not eligible for the standard 30-day return policy.
PC and Mac® OSX compatible. Content available 24 months following activation.
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Computer with Internet access
Minimum computer requirements:
- Connection: Broadband/T1/Cable/DSL/Fiber/etc.
- Operating system: Windows XP or later, or Mac OSX 10.6 or later
- Processor speed: 1+ GHz Pentium or equivalent
- RAM: 1+ GB RAM
- Web browser: Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome (recommended), or Firefox
- Speakers/headphones: Recommended
- Soundcard: Recommended
- Macromedia Flash (latest version)
- QuickTime Plugin (4.0 or above)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (latest version)
Frequently Asked Questions