The BLS Instructor Essentials course is designed to prepare instructor candidates to teach AHA Instructor-led and blended-learning
courses. The course educates instructor candidates on how to adequately use AHA Instructor teaching materials,
ensure that students meet learning objectives, offer student coaching skills, provide an objective skills performance evaluation,
and follow AHA Instructor and course policies. The course covers core content and discipline-specific content required to teach AHA courses.
The BLS Instructor Essentials course is taught in a blended-learning format. AHA BLS Instructor candidates must complete
the online portion, followed by the hands-on session conducted by BLS Training Center Faculty.
Prior to taking this course, candidates must have a current BLS Provider course completion card. Candidates who successfully
complete the BLS Instructor Essentials course, followed by course monitoring, will receive a BLS Instructor card, valid for two
years. BLS Instructors are then able to teach the BLS Provider course and any course within the Heartsaver portfolio.
Key Features and Benefits
This course covers the components of the Instructor cycle, including Prepare, Teach, Test & Remediate, Close, and Keep Current. It
includes core information about instructing AHA courses, followed by course-specific information.
BLS Instructor Essentials
- BLS Provider Instructor-Led Training (ILT)
- HeartCode BLS Blended Learning
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED ILT and Blended Learning
- Heartsaver CPR AED ILT and Blended Learning
- Heartsaver First Aid ILT and Blended Learning
- Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED ILT and Blended Learning
- Self-paced, accessible wherever Internet access is available
- Presented in two parts: Core and BLS; both must be completed
- Includes interactive exercises and videos
- Includes Resource Center with access to AHA’s Program Administration Manual, the BLS Instructor Candidate
Workbook, the BLS Instructor Essentials Classroom Checklist, and quick links to the AHA Instructor Network and
- Certificate of completion available to print when the online portion has been completed successfully; certificate must
be presented for access to the hands-on, Faculty-led session
- Students have access to all information in the online portion for 24 months after activation of the online access key to help
reinforce what they have learned
Includes audio and subtitles for any students who may have a visual or auditory disability. Continuing education credits available.
Eligibility for continuing education credit:
- Physicians -- The American Heart Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity (must be claimed within 6 months of participation).
- Physician assistants -- AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME or a recognized state medical society. Physician assistants may receive a maximum of 0.50 hour of Category I credit for completing this program.
- Nurse practitioners -- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) accepts AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by the ACCME.
- Nurses -- The maximum number of hours awarded for this CE activity is 1.25 contact hours (must be claimed within 6 months of participation).
- Pharmacists -- ACPE Credit: 1.25 Contact Hours. Universal Program Number: 0256-0000-16-915-H05-P (must be claimed within 30 days of participation).
- Emergency medical services -- This continuing education activity is approved by the American Heart Association, an organization accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE), for 1.25 Educator CEH, activity number 16-AMHA-F3-0344 (must be claimed within 6 months of participation).
Please include an e-mail address when ordering. The access key and instructions on how to log in and register for the course will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day. NOTE: You must purchase one online access key for each candidate trained. This product is not eligible for the standard 30-day return policy.
PC and Mac® OSX compatible. Content available 24 months following activation of Key Code.
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Computer with Internet access
Minimum computer requirements:
- Connection: Broadband/T1/Cable/DSL/Fiber/etc.
- Operating system: Windows XP or later, or Mac OSX 10.6 or later
- Processor speed: 1+ GHz Pentium or equivalent
- RAM: 1+ GB RAM
- Web browser: Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome (recommended), or Firefox
- Speakers/headphones: Recommended
- Soundcard: Recommended
- Macromedia Flash (latest version)
- QuickTime Plugin (4.0 or above)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (latest version)
Frequently Asked Questions