This course teaches students to respond to and manage illnesses and injuries in a child or an infant in the first few minutes until professional help arrives. The course is intended for those involved in child care who have a duty to respond to children's health emergencies, including child-care workers, teachers, foster-care workers, camp counselors, youth organizations, and coaches for children's sports organizations. This course is also ideal for parents, grandparents, babysitters, and guardians.
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- list the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of a rescuer providing first aid to a child or an infant
- describe the four key steps in first aid for children and infants: prevent, protect, assess, and act
- remove protective gloves
- describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, and shock
- control bleeding and bandaging
- use an epinephrine pen
- recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
- recognize the legal questions that apply to pediatric first aid rescuers
- describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- recognize when someone needs CPR, and perform high-quality CPR for an infant, child, or adult (adult CPR module is optional)
- give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- demonstrate how to use an AED on a child or an adult (adult AED module is optional)
- describe when and how to help a choking infant, child, or adult.
Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration and a CPR and AED skills test, students receive a Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED course completion card that is valid for two years.
Key Features and Benefits
This item is the online portion of the Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED course when taken in a blended-learning format. It uses a variety of audio and video segments to teach students Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED knowledge and skills. After completing the online portion, students attend an Instructor-led hands-on session that focuses on meaningful skills practice and testing.
Course features and benefits:
- Includes interactive exercises and videos to engage students and help them learn the course material
- Students have the convenience of completing the online portion at their own pace at work, at home, or wherever Internet access is available
- Navigation controls provide students with the flexibility to move easily through content and customize their learning experience
- Includes audio and transcription for any students who may have a hearing or visual disability
- Screen and text-size options help meet diverse learning needs
- Can be used for initial or renewal training
- Certificate of completion that grants access to the hands-on portion is available to print after the online portion has been completed successfully
- Eligibility for continuing education credit:
- General audiences -- American Heart Association is authorized by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) to offer 0.4 CEUs for this program.
Includes access to all information in the online portion for 24 months following activation.
Please include an e-mail address when ordering. Instructions for activating Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Online will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day. NOTE: Each course purchased can only be used by a single student. This product is not eligible for the standard 30-day return policy.
Dimensions and Specifications
PC and Mac® compatible
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Computer with Internet access
Minimum computer requirements:
- Bandwidth: 240 Kb/s (30 KB/s) per user
- Connection: Broadband/T1/Cable/DSL
- Operating system: Windows XP or later, or Mac OSX 10.6 or later
- Processor speed: 500+ MHz Pentium
- RAM: 256+ MB RAM
- Web browser: Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome (recommended), or Firefox
- Speakers/headphones: Recommended
- Soundcard: Recommended
- Macromedia Flash (latest version)
- QuickTime Plugin (4.0 or above)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (latest version)
Instructors teaching the hands-on session will need:
- Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Instructor Manual print edition (item no. EC15-1039) or eBook edition (item no. EC15-3112)
- Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid CPR AED DVD Set (item no. EC15-1041)
- Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook print edition (item no. EC15-1038) or eBook edition (item no. EC15-3113)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long can students access the information in Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Online?
A: Once a student activates the course, the student can access all information for 24 months.
Q: Is this a credentialed course?
A: Yes, successful completion of both the online portion and the classroom portion results in a Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED provider course completion card.
Q: How long does it take to complete the Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Online program?
A: The course length varies depending on which modules are taught.
Q: How long does it take to complete the Instructor-led hands-on session?
A: The length of the session is approximately 2.5 hours, depending on the modules taught and the agenda used by the Instructor conducting the session. There is a sample agenda in the Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Instructor Manual, and additional optional agendas are available on the American Heart Association Instructor Network.
Q: Does the online course provide access to the ebook edition of the student workbook?
A: No, it does not.