This course is designed to prepare students to provide first aid, CPR, and automated external defibrillator (AED) use in a safe, timely, and effective manner. Heartsaver courses are intended for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, regulatory (e.g., OSHA), or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting.
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- list the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of the first aid rescuer
- describe the key steps in first aid
- describe the assessment of and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- use an epinephrine pen
- control bleeding
- recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
- recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers
- describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- recognize when someone needs CPR
- perform high-quality CPR for an adult alone or as a team member during multi-rescuer CPR (child and infant CPR modules are optional)
- give effective breaths using mouth-to-mouth or a barrier device for all age groups
- demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult (child and infant AED modules are optional)
- describe when and how to help a choking adult or child (infant choking module is optional)
Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration and a CPR and AED skills test, students receive a Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED course completion card that is valid for two years.
Key Features and Benefits
This workbook is for use by a single user as a student reference tool before, during, and after the course. Includes the content found on the adult CPR AED reminder card, the child and infant CPR AED reminder card, and the Heartsaver® First Aid Quick Reference Guide (item no. EC15-1022).
Please include an e-mail address when ordering. Instructions on how to access the eBook will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day. NOTE: This product is not eligible for the standard 30-day return policy.
Dimensions and Specifications
PC, Mac®, iOS, and Android compatible
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Computer or device with Internet connection and a current Web browser
- Chrome, version 42 and above
- Firefox, version 37 and above
- Safari, version 8 and above
- Internet Explorer, version 11 and above
- iOS device browsers, device version 7.0 and above
- Android device browsers, device version 4.4 and above
iOS app: iPhones and iPads with version 7.0 and above
Android app: Smartphones and tablets with version 4.1.x and above
Offline viewing available through the iPublishCentral reader (download from the My Bookshelf page at https://eBooks.heart.org)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the return policy on eBooks?
A: All eBook sales are final. Please ensure that you are purchasing the correct title for your needs before placing your order, as eBooks may not be returned or exchanged.
Q: How do students access eBooks?
A: Instructions for accessing eBooks will be e-mailed to you. (Please be sure to include an e-mail address when you order.)
Q: Can I print this eBook?
A: American Heart Association eBooks are not intended to be printed. Printing and copying restrictions apply.
Q: Does this eBook come with reference cards like the print edition does?
A: The eBook does not come with separate reference cards, but it includes the content of the cards in electronic form.