ACLS builds on the foundation of lifesaving basic life support (BLS) skills, emphasizing the importance of continuous, high-quality CPR. This advanced course highlights the importance of high-performance team dynamics and communication; systems of care; and recognition of and intervention in cardiopulmonary arrest, immediate post-cardiac arrest, acute dysrhythmia, stroke, and acute coronary syndromes (ACS).
The ACLS course is designed for healthcare professionals who either direct or participate in the management of cardiopulmonary arrest or other cardiovascular emergencies. This includes personnel in emergency response, emergency medicine, intensive care, and critical care units -- such as physicians, nurses, and paramedics -- as well as others who need an ACLS course completion card for job or other requirements.
Before taking the ACLS course, students must pass the online ACLS Precourse Self-Assessment with a score of 70% or higher. This test is part of the ACLS student Web site (access granted with purchase of the ACLS Provider Manual).
After successfully completing the ACLS course, students should be able to:
- apply the BLS, Primary, and Secondary Assessments sequence for a systematic evaluation of adult patients
- perform prompt, high-quality BLS, including prioritizing early chest compressions and integrating early automated external defibrillator (AED) use
- recognize and perform early management of respiratory arrest
- discuss early recognition and management of ACS and stroke, including appropriate disposition
- recognize and perform early management of bradyarrhythmias and tachyarrhythmias that may result in cardiac arrest or complicate resuscitation outcomes
- recognize and perform early management of cardiac arrest until termination of resuscitation or transfer of care, including immediate post-cardiac-arrest care
- model effective communication as a member or leader of a high-performance team
- evaluate resuscitative efforts during a cardiac arrest through continuous assessment of CPR quality, monitoring the patient’s physiologic response, and delivering real-time feedback to the team
- recognize the impact of team dynamics on overall team performance
- discuss how the use of a rapid response team or medical emergency team may improve patient outcomes
- define systems of care.
For successful course completion, students must:
- demonstrate skills competency in all learning stations
- pass the high-quality BLS skills test
- pass the bag-mask ventilation with OPA/NPA insertion skills test
- pass the Megacode test
- pass the ACLS exam with a score of 84% or higher.
Upon successful completion of all requirements, students receive an ACLS course completion card.
Key Features and Benefits
- contains all the information students need to successfully complete the ACLS course when taught in a classroom format
- is ideal for use as a reference tool before and after the course
- provides students access to a Web site containing mandatory and supplemental information and reference materials, including the ACLS Precourse Self-Assessment, to help them successfully complete the course
- comes with the ACLS Precourse Preparation Checklist Card
- comes with the Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Pocket Reference Card Set, which includes:
- ACLS Cardiac Arrest, Arrhythmias, and Their Treatment
- ACLS Acute Coronary Syndromes and Stroke
Each student must have his or her own copy of the ACLS Provider Manual.
Dimensions and Specifications
8 1/2" x 11"
208 pages plus a sheet of tab labels
Comes with the ACLS Precourse Preparation Checklist Card (4" x 6.5")
Comes with the Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Pocket Reference Card Set:
- ACLS Cardiac Arrest, Arrhythmias, and Their Treatment (3 panels/6 pages, accordion fold, 4" x 6.5" folded)
- ACLS Acute Coronary Syndromes and Stroke (4 panels/8 pages, accordion fold, 4" x 6.5" folded)
Accessories and Replacement Supplies
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Pocket Reference Card Set (item no. EC15-1007)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are the Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Pocket Reference Card Set and the ACLS Precourse Preparation Checklist Card available separately?
A: The Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Pocket Reference Card Set is available separately as item no. EC15-1007. The ACLS Precourse Preparation Checklist Card is only available with the purchase of the provider manual.