The goal of the PEARS course is to improve outcomes for pediatric patients. The course achieves this by training healthcare providers in assessment, early recognition, prompt communication, and initial intervention in the event of respiratory
emergencies, shock, and cardiopulmonary arrest using high-performance team dynamics.
During the course, case-based instruction will be used to teach students to provide appropriate lifesaving interventions within the initial minutes of response until the child is transferred to an advanced life support provider.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- perform BLS consistent with the 2015 AHA guidelines for CPR and ECC
- evaluate a seriously ill or injured child by using the pediatric systematic approach
- apply effective team dynamics
- demonstrate initial stabilization of a seriously ill or injured child, including a child with cardiac arrest, respiratory distress, or shock.
The PEARS course is ideal for:
- Physicians and nurses not specializing in pediatrics
- Nurse practitioners
- Physician assistants
- Emergency medical technicians
- Respiratory therapists
- Prehospital and in-hospital healthcare providers (outside of critical-care areas)
- Outpatient clinic staff
- School-based providers
Students who successfully complete the PEARS course (including achieving a score of 84% or higher on the course exam) will receive a PEARS provider course completion card (print or eCard), valid for two years.
Key Features and Benefits
The PEARS Provider Manual eBook is the electronic equivalent of the printed PEARS Provider Manual. It offers
an alternative to the printed course manual and is for use by a single student before, during, and after the PEARS
A separate supplementary tool, the PEARS Digital Pocket Reference Card, is automatically
included with the purchase of the PEARS Provider Manual eBook. It is the electronic equivalent of the printed
PEARS Pocket Reference Card Set.
The provider eBook includes information on:
- recognition of respiratory distress, shock, and cardiac arrest
- appropriate lifesaving interventions to take within the initial minutes of response until the child is transferred to an advanced life support provider
- high-performance team dynamics.
Each student must have his or her own copy of the PEARS Provider Manual eBook.
Eligibility for continuing education credit:
- Emergency Medical Services -- This continuing education activity is approved by the American Heart Association, an organization accredited
by the Commission on Accreditation of Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE), for 7.25 Advanced
CEHs, activity number 17-AMHA-F2-0024.
Please include an e-mail address when ordering. The access code and instructions on how to access the eBook will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day. NOTE: This product is not eligible for the standard 30-day return policy.
Dimensions and Specifications
PC, Mac®, Android, and iOS compatible
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Computer or device with Internet connection and a current Web browser
- Chrome, version 42 and above
- Firefox, version 37 and above
- Safari, version 8 and above
- Internet Explorer, version 11 and above
- iOS device browsers, device version 7.0 and above
- Android device browsers, device version 4.4 and above
iOS app: iPhones and iPads with version 7.0 and above
Android app: Smartphones and tablets with version 4.1.x and above
Offline viewing available through the iPublishCentral reader (download from the My Bookshelf page at http://eBooks.heart.org)
Note: The latest version of Adobe Air must be installed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the return policy on eBooks?
A: All eBook sales are final. Please ensure that you are purchasing the correct title for your needs before placing your order, as eBooks may not be returned or exchanged.
Q: How do I redeem my eBook access codes after I receive them?
A: Instructions for redemption will be e-mailed to you along with the access codes. (Please be sure to include an e-mail address when you order.)
Q: Can I print this eBook?
A: American Heart Association eBooks are not intended to be printed. Printing and copying restrictions apply.