The ACLS Instructor Essentials course educates Instructor candidates on how to adequately use AHA Instructor teaching materials, ensure that students meet learning objectives, offer student coaching skills, provide an objective skills performance evaluation, and follow AHA Instructor and course policies. The course covers core content and discipline-specific content required to teach AHA courses.
The ACLS Instructor Essentials course is taught in a blended-learning format. AHA ACLS Instructor candidates must complete the online portion, followed by the hands-on session conducted by ACLS Training Center faculty.
Prior to taking this course, candidates must have a current ACLS Provider Course Completion Card. Candidates who successfully complete the ACLS Instructor Essentials course, followed by course monitoring, will receive an ACLS Instructor card, valid for two years. ACLS Instructors are then able to teach ACLS classroom-based courses and conduct HeartCode ACLS hands-on sessions.
This course must be completed by candidates who wish to become AHA ACLS Instructors. Also, all AHA ACLS faculty (Regional and Training Center) who conduct ACLS Instructor courses must complete ACLS Instructor Essentials Online prior to conducting ACLS Instructor training.
Key Features and Benefits
- Self-paced; accessible wherever Internet access is available
- Presented in two parts: Core and ACLS; both must be completed unless Core has been completed as part of previous AHA Instructor training
- Includes interactive exercises and videos
- Includes Resource Center with access to AHA’s Program Administration Manual, the ACLS Instructor Candidate Workbook, the ACLS Instructor Essentials Classroom Checklist, and quick links to the AHA Instructor Network and cpr.heart.org
- Certificate of completion available to print when the online portion has been completed successfully; certificate must be presented for access to the hands-on, faculty-led session
- Students have access to all information in the online portion for 24 months after activation of their key to help reinforce what they have learned
- Includes audio and subtitles for any students who may have a visual or an auditory disability
- Continuing education credits available
Eligibility for continuing education credit:
- Physicians -- The American Heart Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Physician assistants -- AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from
organizations accredited by ACCME or a recognized state medical society. Physician assistants may receive a maximum of
1.25 hour of Category I credit for completing this program.
- Nurse practitioners -- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) accepts AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by
ACCME. AMA credit must be claimed within 6 months of participation. CME/CE credit will no longer be available to claim after
the 6-month claiming period.
- Nurses -- The maximum number of hours awarded for this CE activity is 1.25 contact hours. ANCC credit must be claimed within 6 months of participation. CME/CE credit will no longer be available to claim after the 6-month claiming period.
- Pharmacists -- ACPE credit: 1.25 Contact Hours. Universal Program Number: 0256-0000-17-004-H04-P. ACPE credit must be claimed within 30 days of participation. ACPE credit will no longer be available to claim after the 30-day period has elapsed.
- Emergency medical services -- This continuing education activity is approved by the American Heart Association, an organization accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE), for 1.25 Educator CEH, activity number 17-
AMHA-F3-0007. CAPCE credit must be claimed within 6 months of attendance. CME/CE credit will no longer be available to claim for this
activity after the 6-month claiming period.
Please include an e-mail address when ordering. The access key and instructions on how to log in and register for the course will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day. NOTE: You must purchase one online access key for each candidate trained. This product is not eligible for the standard 30-day return policy.
Dimensions and Specifications
PC and Mac® OSX compatible. Content available 24 months following activation of Key Code.
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Computer with Internet access
Minimum computer requirements:
- Connection: Broadband/T1/Cable/DSL/Fiber/etc.
- Operating system: Windows XP or later, or Mac OSX 10.6 or later
- Processor speed: 1+ GHz Pentium or equivalent
- RAM: 1+ GB RAM
- Web browser: Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome (recommended), or Firefox
- Speakers/headphones: Recommended
- Soundcard: Recommended
- Macromedia Flash (latest version)
- QuickTime Plugin (4.0 or above)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (latest version)
Frequently Asked Questions