This course is designed to prepare students to provide first aid in a safe, timely, and effective manner. Heartsaver courses are intended for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, regulatory (e.g., OSHA), or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting.
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- list the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of the first aid rescuer
- describe the key steps in first aid
- describe the assessment of and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- use an epinephrine pen
- control bleeding
- recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
- recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers.
Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration, students receive a Heartsaver First Aid course completion card that is valid for two years.
Key Features and Benefits
This workbook is for use by a single user as a student reference tool before, during, and after the course. It comes with a supplemental reference card (see below).
Dimensions and Specifications
8 1/2" x 11"
88 pages, plus one copy of the Heartsaver® First Aid Quick Reference Guide (item no. EC15-1022)
Full-color, softcover book
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is the Heartsaver First Aid Quick Reference Guide available separately?
A: Yes, it is sold separately as item no. EC15-1022.
Q: Does this course include CPR?
A: No. If you need to teach CPR along with first aid, you will need to use the Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED course.